Saturday, June 4, 2011

Words are interactive!

Margaret Santori uses Wikipedia as a tool for her students to not only learn information about a person or topic but also to introduce or reinforce the idea that civil discussion and discourse happens among adults in the real world all the time both when they agree and disagree.  This is vital information for students to understand about any text.  Texts are written by people, who have biases, opinions, and personal writing styles and all of these things influence the information taken away by the reader.  This idea is very interesting to consider that we may even be getting more reliable information now because of the web and the fact that we are exposed to more points of view than ever before.  So words are interactive in the sense that points of view and civil discussion can create the availability of highly authentic information learning online.  

Another way that words are interactive is the way we have started to use words online.  Some of my favorite website are cooking websites and I love the interactive nature of the words in the recipes I find.  For example on http://www.foodnetwork.com/ I search for my favorite oatmeal bread, one of my favorite breakfast foods made by Alton Brown.  Just by clicking on different words in the recipe I can watch the video of the episode, see what different ingredients look like, convert the recipe for different serving sizes and look for alternate ingredients I could use if I am out of something important.  If you enjoy oatmeal bread, check it out!  I also love to add raisins to it!  I put the Youtube video here, but feel free to check it out on foodnetwork.com too for the fun interactive words!






No comments:

Post a Comment